I have to admit, I am actually addicted to drinking water with lemon. I drink it all day & when I'm not at home I have a huge water bottle filled with lemon slices, often getting curious looks from others who ask me "Why is there a lemon in your water?" Well, simply because it's good for you and personally I love the taste. It's like you can almost feel your body getting cleansed with every sip.
Here are some benefits of drinking lemon water:
1. Boosts your immune system - Lemons are full of vitamin C which aids in preventing & fighting colds as well as healing throat infections with its antibacterial properties.
2. Balances your pH- Lemon water can reduce the overall acidity in our bodies. Although lemons are highly acidic in themselves, once metabolized in us they are alkalized.
3. Clears skin- The vitamin c can decrease wrinkles and blemishes as well as getting rid of the toxins that can cause these.
4. Helps with weight loss- Lemons are high in pectin fibre which fights hunger cravings.
5. Hydrates lymph system- Drinking a warm cup of water with lemon first thing in the morning can help substitute coffee while preventing dehydration and adrenal fatigue. Your adrenals are two glands located on top of your kidneys which create energy and secrete a hormone called aldosterone.
6. Acts as a diuretic- Lemons increase the rate of uriniation in your body, flushing out toxins and unwanted material, leaving yourself purified and urinary tract healthy.
7. Freshens breath- Can relieve gum irritations, toothaches & gingivitis.
8. Promote your "Zen"- When stressed, one of the first things that depletes is vitamin c, so drink up some lemon water next time you're feeling down!